More than half of all North Carolinians, 52%, report keeping some sort of firearm in their homes. Some things to keep in mind:
- The National Rifle Association apparently doesn't recruit here. Only 10% of respondents said they belong to any sort of pro-gun rights organization.
- The presence of young children doesn't seem to make a difference as to whether people own guns. 48% of people with kids under age 16 report having a gun in their home.
- Men like guns more than women do. By a significant margin, men are more likely to belong to a pro-guns organization, keep a gun in their homes, use that gun for protection, or go hunting.
- Don't break into these people's houses. 76% of those who own a gun reported that they keep it as a protective measure against criminals.
- Don't talk to them about the results of the 2008 presidential, senate, or governor's races. They're probably not happy because nearly two-thirds of them are Republicans.