Wednesday, November 19, 2008

More of Southern Democrats exceeding expectations

I pointed out yesterday that although I thought it was a stretch a year ago, Barack Obama beat John McCain overall in the states of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

I also said at the time that I didn't think overall voter dissatisfaction with Congress would extend to that many Congressional seats actually changing hands in the region.

Well I'm happy to say I was wrong about that too. Six seats in the region (three in Virginia, two in Florida, and one in North Carolina) went Democratic with one in Florida going Republican. That's a disproportionate number of the House seats going Democratic coming from ACC territory.

Although I didn't expect Democrats to do this well in the region, I did think that writing it off would be a terrible mistake. Somehow I don't think there's going to be nearly as much debate about whether Democrats should make an effort here during future election cycles.

No comments:

 
Web Statistics